Shocking Update On The Disappearance Of Savannah Guthrie’s Mom

The search for missing Arizona woman Nancy Guthrie entered a renewed and critical phase Thursday as investigators returned to her Tucson-area neighborhood, restricted access to nearby roads, and acknowledged new information now under active review.

Residents in the Catalina Foothills community, where Guthrie lived, were notified earlier in the day that law enforcement would immediately resume searches in the area. In a letter sent to homeowners, the local neighborhood association thanked residents for their cooperation and urged continued support as the investigation deepens.

Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of TODAY show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, Photo Credit: The Last Show- Karen Lee/X

Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of TODAY show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, Photo Credit: The Last Show- Karen Lee/X

The association’s president wrote that the community remains united in shock and grief, while expressing appreciation for neighbors who have shared surveillance footage, spoken with detectives, and allowed authorities to search their properties.

Shortly after, investigators from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department were seen back near Guthrie’s home. Officials temporarily shut down the roadway in front of the residence and asked media crews gathered at the scene to relocate, citing the need to give investigators space to work.

Sheriff Chris Nanos reiterated Thursday that he believes Guthrie, 84, is still alive, even as the search stretches into its sixth day.

“My working belief is that Nancy was taken from her home against her will,” Nanos said. “Until I see physical evidence that tells me otherwise, I have to work under the assumption that she is alive and needs to be found.”

A map related to the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, Photo Credit: News 4 Tucson KVOA-TV/Youtube

A map related to the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, Photo Credit: News 4 Tucson KVOA-TV/Youtube

Authorities have already interviewed individuals who had regular access to the home, including landscaping workers, pool maintenance staff, a housekeeper, and an Uber driver. According to the sheriff, those conversations have wrapped up for now, and all individuals were cooperative and provided information investigators deemed useful.

Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs confirmed that the state’s Department of Public Safety is assisting local authorities, including providing rapid DNA analysis. She added that additional resources are available if needed and said her thoughts remain with the Guthrie family.

Meanwhile, a California man accused of injecting chaos into the investigation appeared in federal court Thursday. Derrick Callella, charged with sending a hoax ransom message related to the Guthrie case, appeared before a judge in Santa Ana, California. Wearing a black long-sleeve shirt and leg restraints, Callella appeared solemn, making the sign of the cross multiple times during the hearing.

Because the alleged crime occurred in Arizona, Callella waived his right to identity and transfer hearings. Prosecutors sought to keep him detained, citing an old outstanding warrant. His attorney countered that the warrant stemmed from a decades-old misdemeanor and may have been resolved without Callella’s knowledge. The defense also noted that Callella supports three young children.

Aerial image of Nancy Guthrie's home with the police looking around, Photo Credit: Rose/X

Aerial image of Nancy Guthrie’s home with the police looking around, Photo Credit: Rose/X

U.S. Magistrate Judge Karen E. Scott set bond at $20,000 and approved release under strict conditions once paperwork is finalized. Callella must surrender his passport, remain within California and Arizona, avoid contact with victims or witnesses, submit to drug testing, forgo weapons, and limit himself to a single monitored smartphone. His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday in Arizona.

President Donald Trump weighed in Thursday night, telling reporters aboard Air Force One that the investigation is progressing “very well.” He said authorities have uncovered “very strong clues” and suggested answers could come soon, though he declined to share details.

Federal investigators have also returned to Guthrie’s home for follow-up work. While officials would not specify the reason, sources say the visit may be connected to new information received in recent hours.

Law enforcement is also examining surveillance footage tied to a vehicle of interest. A Circle K store on Oracle Road confirmed it provided video to authorities after receiving a tip, though officials caution it’s unclear whether the vehicle is directly tied to the case.

A written statement of Chris Nanos, Sheriff of Pima County regarding the investigation of Nancy Guthrie's disappearance, Photo Credit: News 4 Tucson KVOA-TV/Youtube

A written statement of Chris Nanos, Sheriff of Pima County regarding the investigation of Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance, Photo Credit: News 4 Tucson KVOA-TV/Youtube

The FBI and sheriff’s department confirmed they are evaluating a new message related to Guthrie, sent to a local Tucson television station. Investigators are still working to authenticate the message and determine whether it came from the same sender as earlier ransom-related communications.

As the investigation continues, public support has poured in for Guthrie’s family. Messages of prayer and encouragement flooded social media following an emotional video posted by her daughter, *TODAY* co-anchor Savannah Guthrie. Celebrities, journalists, and public figures alike offered words of hope.

Savannah Guthrie, who remained in Arizona rather than attending a scheduled work event overseas, was publicly acknowledged by colleagues during a televised broadcast, with hosts sending love and prayers as the search for her mother continues.

Authorities have confirmed that blood found outside Guthrie’s home matched her DNA, but no suspects or persons of interest have been named. Investigators say the case remains active, fluid, and far from over.

Sources: New York Post